Wikipedia defines 45 to 65 years as mid-life and 45-65 years individuals as middle-aged individuals. This is a time when the majority of men and women play multiple roles in their family lives. Managing family commitments, balancing work-life, sometimes health issues etc. turn to be very challenging.
This is a time to press the ‘reset’ button, time to ‘reboot’ , ‘reinvent’ and ‘refresh’ your enthusiasm and approach towards family, work, and careers in renewed mindset.
“ People who can not invent and reinvent themselves must be content with borrowed postures, second-hand ideas, fitting in instead of standing out”Warren Bennis, The Father of Leadership
CLICK HERE and Read a wonderful book by Warren Bennis
What do Facts and Reports say?
Life after 40 is challenging, both physically and mentally. This is a time to learn, to appreciate and to enjoy what you have. You need to also learn how to cope up with stress, uncertainty, and adversity as you age. Remember, with small changes in the daily routine you can bring an immense magnitude of positive impact in your life.
According to a study from The American Institute for Economic Research ( AIER ), 82 % of adults at age 47 and older who attempted a career change after the age of 45 were ultimately successful.
Yes, an amazing fact! The key is to recognize to reinvent, refresh, restart and consequently redefine yourself as a human-beings.
Also Read: A nice article on refreshing yourself
That is why Billy Joel the famous American singer and songwriter once said, “You can get what you want or you can just get old”.
You Decide ..!
How Can I Reinvent Myself in Mid-life –
10 proven ways are suggested –
- Start waking up earlier –
“ It is well to be up before daybreak, for such habits contribute to health, wealth and wisdom” – Aristotle
So true! Harvard business review finds that people whose performance peaks in the morning are better positioned for career success because they are more proactive than people who are at their best in the evening.
So, remember that life begins at the end of your comfort zone. If you are not an early morning riser the first step of reinvention is to make practice ‘Waking up Early’ and see the miracles.
See Related: Read How the practice of good habits make you or break you
- Develop a Fitness Routine – Mid-life is a time when the strength of your body musculature, tonicity, and endurance start declining. Physical exercise delivers oxygen and essential nutrients to the tissues and systems. Keep in mind that, you have four major types of health- physical health, mental health, emotional health, and spiritual health. Out of the four types of health three types that is a total of 75 % of health are comprising of mental, emotional, and spiritual. Remember, that three types of health are your internal health, only physical health 25 % is your external health.
Start focusing more on your internal health. Use ‘ Power of an Hour’ by Azim Kamal. It says you to follow daily – 20 minutes exercise, 20 minutes visualization, and meditation and 20 minutes of inspiring book reading.
Reinvent yourself with such daily practice.
Also Read: Agility- A major key to succeed
- Declutter Your Mind – You will always find that in our life, goodness always needs to be cultured, but evil happens automatically.
So, you need to stand as a security person at the entry gate of your mind and follow the old computer terminology – GIGO. ‘Garbage in garbage out. Remember our mind
is a treasure box of sweet memories, not a storehouse to keep anger, rage, frustration, or retaliation.
Practice this quote by Mother Teresa to de-clutter your mind –
“People are often unreasonable and self-centered — forgive them anyway,… &
If you find happiness people may be jealous,
Be happy anyway.”Mother Teresa
CLICK HERE and learn about Mother Teresa
- Start Journaling – Start journal writing. Journaling is a way to note down your thoughts, insights, feelings, ideas, observations, etc.
Constructive journal writing refreshes your creativity, minimizes depression, maximizes your optimism, and realigns you towards your life’s goal.
“Journal writing, when it becomes a ritual of transformation, is not only life-changing but life-expanding” Jen Williamson
If you wish to Reinvent yourself at mid-life start journal writing.
Click Here to know more about the Benefits of Journal Writing
- Let Go of Regrets – Do not drive into your past using your rear-view mirror as a guide. Past can never be the window for your future.
You can not change what you did or what you did not in the past. Regret will only make you weaken and waste your present time and energy.
“ At the end of the day. Let there be no excuses, no explanations, no regrets” Steve Maraboli
Read books by Steve Maraboli, Check Price on Amazon
- Live in the Moment – When you decide to reinvent yourself condition your mind not to ramble much. Thich Nhat Hanh, the renowned Buddhist monk once said “The present moment is the only moment available to us and it is the door to all moments”.
To condition your mind practice ‘Serenity Prayer’ every day.
Click Here and learn ‘Serenity Prayer’ from the article ‘Be in the present -focus on now and get more’
- Find a Hobby – ‘American Journal of Alzheimer’s’s Disease and other Dementias’ found that people who took part in regular hobbies are less likely to develop dementia. As rightly said by George Bernard Shaw that “ Happy is the man who can make his living by his hobby”.
You may not be making your living by hobby but a hobby at mid-life will give you a different perspective about the way you look at things and will direct you towards a different dimension of actions.
You can simply start or resume your reading habit as ‘reading is the feeding of your mind’.
You may also learn a new language or may try to acquire a new skill of your choice.
While reinventing yourself at mid-age you not only strengthen your level of confidence but also enrich your physical and mental health to pursue a new career.
See Related – 22 Benefits of hobby
- Donate and Share – The holy book Bible says “Give and you shall receive”.
So true! ‘The hand that gives is the hand that gathers’. Do not wait to donate till you become wealthy. When we think about the donation the first idea comes up with financial donation and people start to count their own money. But, believe me, it is all about mindset. If you are desirous and decided to donate apart from financial donation your old books, child toys, linens, clothes, vehicles all can be donated if they are in good form.
You can also start teaching a few needy children or start adding value to many people in our society who have lost the purpose of life.
Trust me, you will truly start living a life of fulfillment. A great way of reinvention.
“Those who are happiest are those who do the most for others” Booker T. Washington
Also Read: Design your life-Prioritize your values
- Manage Your Finances – A very convincing quote by Warren Buffet which I like most is – “Do not save what is left after spending, but spend what is left after saving”. This practice actually should begin from the early days of earning a career. But, never mind, better late than never. Still, you have enough time to follow the same advice in your mid-life if you are convinced with the quote.
You need to re-organize on financial planning including tax planning, careful budgeting, savings in the short term, investing in the long term, avoiding borrowing funds, using credit wisely, and update yourself on new financial information.
Click Here and Read the books of Warren Buffett, the world’s most successful investor
- Try it Once More – In the early days of your career if you have failed to achieve any of your goals, TRY it once more now. When you stand at your mid-age remember you are now richly experienced, having better knowledge, stronger intuitions, and deep insights. You may not fail if you are passionate.
Don’t give up. Replan and ‘try it once more’…. maybe you are just one step away to realize your life-long-cherished dreams.
Remember, two sentences from the poem ‘Don’t Quit’
“ ….and you never can tell just how close you are; It may be near when it seems so far”
So…, Reset, reboot, refresh and reinvent yourself to try out once more.
Read Related: Daily improvements- How to be a master in your field?
Final Thoughts –
Life is all about the choices and compromises we make. Choosing to reboot and reinvent yourself on these 10 suggestions will genuinely help you to achieve greater heights in your life. It is never late to restart, reboot, replan and reinvent yourself for a meaningful, healthy, and wealthy life. If you are a mid-life individual and reading this article, are you ready to follow the 10 suggestions?